Sunday, May 26, 2013

Ahrrr, it was a birthday party, mateys!

Joey's five...almost!  We celebrated his fifth birthday party on Saturday with 10 of his friends.  It was a lot of work, but definitely worth it.  I've never seen a kid so excited for a birthday party as was Joey--for about two weeks prior to his party, he woke up each day and clarified just how many days were left until it would begin.  We had a pirate theme, as you can tell from the pictures below, complete with eye patches (black or hot pink), parrot puppets, a pirate ship race, walking the plank, pin the jolly roger on the pirate ship, a treasure hunt, and last but not least, a pinata.  Most important, Joey and his friends had a great time.  Oh, and so did Jon and I.  Did I mention that we're doing this again in two weeks when Tommy has his Star Wars party?  Yikes...I'm tired just thinking about it! ;)

 Joey's and friend's boats capsized in the pirate ship race!
 Tommy perched up on one of his favorite spots.
 Pirate Joey
 Joey "walking the plank"
 If they got married some day, this picture would be SO cute on the wedding video!
 Pirate Jon distracting the kids while I hid buried treasure
 Joey listening to the story
Cute kids enjoying the story
A few more of our good friends
 Joey with the pinata he helped me to make.  He warned his friends near the beginning to "be careful not to break it."  (I had to break it to him at that point that the pinata had a rather sad fate...)
 Thank goodness our friend finally broke it open!
 The treasure chest cake (thanks to Caroline for helping me make it!)
 Joey blowing out the candles..after Sam blew them out first ;)
And what would a pirate party be without a jolly roger flying above?

2 comments:

AnnaMarie said...

It was so fun! Really good job! Katie had a blast and we've all been enjoying her bag of candy, though she doesn't know that.

Jensine Kinser said...

Wow! How fun! And that, my friend, looked like a lot of work. :) I think it's pretty awesome how you go all out.