Thursday, September 18, 2008

I've been dreading this for months...

Tommy never climbed out of his crib. Not even once. So, for months I've been putting off switching him to a "big boy bed." After all, why upset a perfectly calm, quick bedtime routine? But Joey has just gotten too heavy for his pack 'n play bassinet, so the time has finally come. And last night was the night. It broke my heart to take these pictures of my first baby in his first bed...for the last time:


After the photo shoot, we took everything out of his crib and said it was "all done." Then we went into his new room to play:
This was a great picture I got of Tommy, because he literally spends hours like this every day. He loves his cars, and so do I!


So I had/have four main fears.

1. He wouldn't go to sleep in his new bed. Well, this one went better than I expected. At first he was really scared and sad, but after I read a couple of stories in his bed with him, he calmed down. A little while later I heard him singing himself to sleep.

2. He would fall out of bed. A friend gave us a bedrail, but I'd forgotten to put it on until bedtime, and then I couldn't figure out how to lock it into position, so I put him to bed without it. When Jon got home we decided to sneak into his room and tuck him in so that the quilt would keep him secure, but we were foiled in this effort as well, because he was laying upside down in his bed! So Jon figured out the bedrail and we snuck it onto his bed. Whew! What a relief! And he woke up happy this morning!

3. I'm seriously afraid he'll never take a nap again. Why would he, with easy access to toys and fun?!

4. Same fear with bedtime--what will become of our angelicly short 5-minute bedtime routine? I guess we'll find out! Wish me luck!!

3 comments:

jeff and alli said...

He is such a cute little boy. I'm glad the first night in the big boy bed went pretty well. Hopefully it stays that way. And you have a 5 minute bed routine! That is awesome, wow I wish that is all it took for Rees. :)

~Allison Thomas

stacey said...

you did it!! i am so impressed. i guess i should get liv into a big bed too. oh, the "little boy room" is ADORABLE!! i love the cars/trucks!! good job.

Megan said...

He is such a big boy! I can't believe that. So, I haven't checked the blog for awhile and then all of the sudden you post about 10 things! Way to go! I was wondering what was going on with you guys!