Sunday, July 5, 2009

Swimming with Manatees (and Other Fun Adventures)

My camera is out of batteries, so I can't post any pictures yet, but we've done some really fun things lately. Can you guess what they were?

TRUE or FALSE:

1. I accidentally bear-hugged a manatee in the Crystal River.

2. Tommy's favorite ride at Disney World was Pirates of the Caribbean.

3. Jon and I performed "Phantom of the Basement" for the Holts' Got Talent show.

4. I saw an alligator.

5. We saw seals at Cocoa Beach.

6. We ate at CiCi's Pizza two times in one week.

And here are the answers (I know they should be upside down or something so you don't cheat, but I'm not sure how to work that...)

1. True-almost. I went swimming with a manatee mother and its calf in the Crystal River, which was very cool. The water was shallow, and we were snorkeling in wet suits, trying to float so that we wouldn't kick up silt or water and scare the manatee away. So I didn't actually bear hug the manatee (I did pet it several times), but I did end up on top of it a couple of times and have to manuover myself off without accidentally kicking it.

2. False-Pirates of the Caribbean was one of my favorite rides, but it scared Tommy a little bit. Tommy's favorite was the Dumbo ride, but it scared me a little bit!

3. Completely true. And we won first prize--a package of Red Vines wrapped in gold paper!

4. False. That was my goal of the whole trip since we were in Florida, but it never happened, even though there was a sign posted right outside our condo that said, "Don't Feed the Alligators."

5. False. We saw dolphins swimming in the ocean at Cocoa Beach. It was only about my fourth or fifth time to visit the ocean, so I thought it was amazing.

6. True. Enough said.
***********

To sum things up, we spent the last week of June in Orlando with Jon's side of the family for our bi-annual family reunion. We had a great time. It was so great to spend time with those from Utah, and we loved all of the "vacation" activities, as well as the special evening events, like interviewing Jon's parents, having a family birthday party, and, of course, the talent show. We love our family (both Jon's and Christy's!) and cherish the time we get to spend with them!

4 comments:

Natalie said...

I just had to Google "manatee" and remind myself what they look like. I can't believe you swam with them. Freaky!

What a fun vacation! How awesome the whole Holt fam was able to get together in Florida. Awesome memories!

Megan said...

How fun! I was wondering if you happen to have a video to post from the Holt's Got Talent show. I would pay money for that...
I miss you!!

Jensine Kinser said...

I liked the quiz! You guys did some pretty fun stuff...I like the phantom of the basement :)

stacey said...

what a great vaca!! you did such fun things!!