Tuesday, September 14, 2010

The Origin of Snakes

Tommy's favorite exhibit at the zoo is the enclosed Butterfly Garden. So I was dismayed when our last visit was a near disaster... Just moments before we exited, Joey stooped down to examine a butterfly resting passively on the ground. Imagine my horror as he picked up his leg, positioned his chubby little foot right over the butterfly, and then...I jumped in to save the butterfly just in time. While heaving a sigh of relief, I turned away, only to be startled by someone else's gasp: "Tommy?!!!" Apparently, Tommy had finished the job.


We quickly told a zoo keeper, who set the butterfly in a safe place, which I took to mean that it was still alive (second huge sigh of relief), then we hurriedly left the garden.


Needless to say, the boys may need a lesson in butterfly etiquette. It turns out that they also need a lesson in butterfly anatomy. I overheard this conversation between the boys the other day:


Tommy: Joey, when butterflies grow up, they turn into snakes.

Joey: Okay. Butterflies. Snakes.


Hmmm.....

1 comment:

Megan said...

You have been a blogging fool! I love it!! I am so excited that you are coming! Let me know when you know the details! I can't wait!!